Yesterday we took care of the Appetizers (The Jumpoff) for the next few day’s we’ll be addressing the side dishes (side chicks)…
This is one situation where the sides are just as important and relevant as the main. (pardon my extra ratchet humor…it’s just one of those days) Last year’s Thanksgiving Recipe Blitz included greens and green beans, this year we will be switching it up and using one of my favorite borrowed recipes from The Queen of Butter herself, Paula Deen.
This recipe is so easy to make, even those cooking novices can ace this dish with sheer ease.
Paula Deen’s Broccoli Casserole
- 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped broccoli, cooked and drained
- 1 cup mayonnaise (I sometimes use 1/2 cup mayo, 1/4 cup of Miracle Whip, 1/4 cup of cream cheese)
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar (I like using a blend of cheeses like the Kraft Mexican Cheese Mix)
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups crushed crackers (or 2 cups of panko bread crumbs)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Season according to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13 by 9-inch baking dish with vegetable oil cooking spray.
In a large mixing bowl, combine broccoli, mayonnaise, cheese, soup and eggs. Mix well with a metal spoon. Place the mixture in the prepared baking dish. Top with the crushed crackers and pour the melted butter evenly over the crackers. Bake for 35 minutes or until set and browned.