Every Friday, a group of my good friends and I join together for what we call “The Wine Down”. Between amazing food, great friends, good laughs and great wine we are always bound to have a good time. Although hosting a group of 10 or 15 people can be fun, it can also be a bit pricey and the preparation could be time consuming unless you budget and plan responsibly. One of the easiest and budget friendly meals to make is LASAGNA. With this recipe from Kiyana Harris you are sure to fill those tummy’s with a delicious meal without breaking your budget. The estimated price of this meal is about $30 but it feeds up to 15 people. Throw some Caesar salad in the mix and voila….YOU HAVE A DINNER PARTY!
1 package of dry lasagna noodles (you will only use about 1/2 to 3/4 of the package)
1 lb of ground chicken (can also use turkey or beef)
1 jar of tomato sauce (I used Ragu “Flavored with Meat”)
1 cup of ricotta cheese
1 cup of mozarella cheese, shredded (I also tried it with the Italian cheese assortment and with a sharp cheddar. Feel free to experiment with the cheeses!)
1/2 cup of parmesan cheese
1 package of pepperoni (sliced)
This recipe based on a 9×9 glass/Pyrex dish. Makes 10-15 servings.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Boil noodles (add salt to taste). Drain and rinse with cool water.
3. Brown meat until no longer pink, adding seasoning salt, oregano, pepper, and onion powder to taste.
4. Stir in 1/2 cup of tomato sauce until meat is well coated.
5. Spoon 3-4 tablespoons of tomato sauce into lasagna dish. Spread over bottom and sides of dish to create a thin layer.
6. Lay one layer of noodles in bottom of dish (cut noodles to fit dish if necessary). Spoon 3-4 tablespoons of tomato sauce and spread to cover noodles.
7. Add half of your ground meat as the next layer. Cover first layer of lasagna noodles with meat. Sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons of parmesan cheese over meat and top with a handful of mozarella/assorted cheese.
8. Lay another layer of noodles on top of meat. Spoon 3-4 tablespoons of tomato sauce and spread to cover noodles.
9. In a small mixing bowl, mix ricotta cheese and egg. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt, a dash of pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of oregano. Mix well until egg is well blended with cheese.
10. Spread ricotta cheese mixture evenly on top of noodles and sauce. Spread pepperoni slices on top of cheese (you can use as many as you’d like, but I recommend that they not overlap. The taste was a bit overwhelming when I tried too much pepperoni).
11. Lay another layer of noodles on top of ricotta/pepperoni. Spoon 3-4 tablespoons of tomato sauce and spread to cover noodles.
12. Use the other half of your ground meat as the next layer. Cover noodles with meat. Sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons of parmesan cheese over meat and top with a handful of mozarella/assorted cheese.
13. Lay another layer of noodles on top. Spoon the rest of the tomato sauce to thickly cover noodles.
14. Use the remainder of your mozarella/assorted cheese and paremsan to cover the top of the lasagna.
15. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes.